TOK TOKKIE TRAIL
2 Night / 3 Day Guided Hiking Trail, Open-air Camp
This easy 3-day hiking trail will take you from rugged, striking mountainous terrain to beautiful sandy dunes. Be at one with the desert as you sleep under the clear night sky, and let your experienced guide unveil the many secrets of the Namib.
Day 1-3 | Namibia
- Scenic drive to the starting point of the trail
- Rolling hills covered by fascinating ‘fairy circles’
- Walk amongst the dunes with trained guide
- Sleep & dine under the sky
- Easy walks adapted to suit your pace (basic fitness recommended)
Hiking Trail: Tok Tokkie Desert Trail
From: Tok Tokkie
To: Tok Tokkie
Min. number to guarantee tour: 2
Max number of participants: 8
Departure day: on demand, no set departure dates
Price: from 7,315 NAD
Day 1 | Arrival at Tok Tokkie base – NamibRand Nature Reserve
Walking time approx. 1-2 h
Arrival should be by 14:00 h at the Tok Tokkie base. While you wait for all the fellow travellers to arrive and check in, you can enjoy some refreshments. Pack a small backpack for personal items that you would like to carry with you on the walk. Your luggage will be transferred by vehicle to the overnight camp. Your tour starts with visiting the ‘Namib Desert Environmental Educational Trust’, a non-profit and donor sponsored trust aiming to develop environmentally responsible citizens in Namibia. Thereafter, enjoy a scenic drive as you are transferred to the starting point of the Tok Tokkie Trail. To get to your first camp, you will walk over hills covered by the mysterious ‘fairy circles’ and climb some of the rolling sand dunes. These dunes are covered in vegetation and are smaller than the massive dunes at Sossusvlei, yet just as amazing to explore. Watch the sun as it slowly disappears behind the dunes and relax with a drink, while your dinner is being prepared. Enjoy a 3-course dinner, served in the dunes, and fall asleep under the crystal clear night sky listening to the silence.
Day 2 | NamibRand Nature Reserve
Walking time approx. 6-7 h
An early wake up is necessary today to ensure you depart in the cool of the early morning. There will be tea and coffee available while your light breakfast is being prepared. Today’s highlights include breathtaking views of the dunes and plains. Let one of the oldest deserts come alive, while you smell, taste and feel your surroundings. On today’s route you might spot some of the desert’s special golden moles, dancing white ladies, barking geckos, dune larks or flightless wasps. After a delicious lunch prepared by the staff, there will be plenty of time for you to relax in the shade or to enjoy a siesta while you wait for the heat of the day to recede. Once you have filled up your water bottle, you head further into the dunes. A sea of endless dunes, covered in ‘fairy circles’ against a backdrop of mountain scenery, provides a spectacular photo opportunity as the sunlight slowly disappears, creating an ever-changing palette of colors. Enjoy a cool drink and reflect on all you have seen today before enjoying another feast set up by the staff amongst the dunes.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
Day 3 | NamibRand Nature Reserve – Return to Tok Tokkie base
Walking time approx. 3-3.5 h
Today you will be woken up once more in the soft light shortly before sunrise. Enjoy the view of the rolling dunes with a cup of coffee or tea. After a delicious breakfast, you will set off on an easy walk back to the Tok Tokkie farmhouse, through soft dune fields, interspersed by camelthorn trees. You are expected to arrive there at about 11:30.
Please note: Sometimes, the trail will be walked the other way round. Landscapes will then be seen at different times of day.
- Guided hiking trail as per itinerary
- Professional English-speaking guide
- 2 nights out in the open on stretcher beds in bedrolls
- Bathroom facilities at the camps (long-drop toilet, bucket shower, hand basin)
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffee and juice at the overnight camps
- Back-up crew
- Luggage transport for the duration of the trail
- Transfer to the starting point of the trail
- NamibRand Nature Reserve park fees
- Flights (international and domestic)
- Arrival and departure arrangements to/from Tok Tokkie base
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Visa, tips, personal expenses, travel insurance